- 2 spring onions, peeled, finely chopped bulbs and stalks
- 1 lemongrass stalk, white part only, finely chopped
- 3 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 Tbsp fish sauce
- ½ tsp turmeric
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp white pepper
- 600g chicken thigh fillets, cut into 3cm cubes
- 25 Kaffir lime leaves (I was told you can use jarred if you have no fresh)
- ¹⁄³ cup water
- Extra 2 Tbsp fish sauce
- 2 Tbsp palm sugar
- 1 small red chilli, finely chopped
- Steamed rice, to serve
- Lemon wedges, to serve, (optional)
1 Put 12 bamboo skewers in a shallow dish, cover with cold water and leave to soak for at least 20 minutes or until needed. Put spring onions, lemongrass, 2 tablespoons lemon juice, oil, fish sauce, turmeric, salt and pepper in a bowl. Add chicken and stir until well combined. Cover and put in the fridge to marinate for 1 hour.
2 Finely chop 1 lime leaf and put in a small heavy-based pan with water, extra fish sauce, sugar, chilli and remaining lemon juice. Stir over a medium heat until sugar is dissolved and mixture comes to the boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook for 3 minutes or until slightly thickened. Transfer to a bowl and leave to cool.
3 Remove skewers from water. Thread chicken and remaining lime leaves alternately onto skewers. Heat a large chargrill pan or large heavy-based pan over a medium heat. Cook skewers, in batches, for 3-4 minutes on each side or until cooked through. Serve with steamed rice, cooled sauce and lemon wedges, if desired.